Mr. Eric Butler
Welcome to Guidance
508-627-3316 x 246
March 25, 2020
Below are some resources you may find helpful. Please reach out if you or your child are in need.
1. Lynn Lyons, psychotherapist, author, and speaker who specializes in the treatment of anxiety in children, teens, and families is offering free live streams via Facebook. Below is a link. Lynn has consulted with and given professional development trainings for the Martha’s Vineyard public school staff and workshops for parents over the past several years. Her live stream discussion gives specific preventative approaches to help parents support their children and themselves while isolating at home and living through this uncertain time.
2. The Martha’s Vineyard Community Services web page offers a comprehensive list of locations on the island to access food and other essentials as well as financial assistance. In addition, they have links to connect with help regarding mental health, domestic violence and substance use disorder.
3. Below is an article from the New York Times entitled, “5 Ways to Help Teens Manage Anxiety About the Coronavirus”
4. NAMI also offers comprehensive guidance and help.
508-627-3316 x 246
508-627-3316 x 209
25 de março de 2020
Abaixo estão alguns recursos que você pode achar úteis. Entre em contato se você ou seu filho precisar.
1. Lynn Lyons, psicoterapeuta, autora e palestrante especializada no tratamento da ansiedade em crianças, adolescentes e famílias, oferece transmissões ao vivo gratuitas via Facebook. Abaixo está um link. Lynn consultou e deu treinamentos de desenvolvimento profissional para a equipe da escola pública de Martha’s Vineyard e oficinas para os pais nos últimos anos. Sua discussão ao vivo fornece abordagens preventivas específicas para ajudar os pais a apoiarem seus filhos e a si mesmos enquanto isolam em casa e vivem esse tempo incerto.
2. A página dos Serviços Comunitários da Martha’s Vineyard oferece uma lista abrangente de locais na ilha para acessar alimentos e outros itens essenciais, além de assistência financeira. Além disso, eles têm links para se conectar com ajuda em relação à saúde mental, violência doméstica e transtorno por uso de substâncias.
3. Abaixo está um artigo do New York Times intitulado “5 maneiras de ajudar os adolescentes a gerenciar a ansiedade sobre o coronavírus”
4. A NAMI também oferece orientação e ajuda abrangentes.
Você pode entrar em contato com Eric ou Deb em nossas extensões de telefone da escola, podemos acessar nossas mensagens e retornar para você. Ou, se preferir, envie um email para nós. Se estivermos ligando de volta, pode ser um chamador desconhecido.
Eric Butler Deb DeBettencourt
508-627-3316 x 246 508-627-3316 x 209
GUIDANCE COUNSELORS’ LETTER
The following is a brief description of the Guidance Department Services offered at The Edgartown School.
Edgartown School has two guidance counselors that work with student from kindergarten through 8th grade. We interact with students in the classroom with our health teacher, Sue Costello and privately depending on presenting issues.
Some of our annual topics cover decision making, conflict resolution, relationships, anxiety, discrimination, internet safety and a host of health topics including disease and illness, smoking, hygiene, puberty, drug and alcohol eduction and nutrition. The lessons are tailored to the development of the students we are working with.
Individual and group counseling is available to all students. Groups can be formed to help work on the feelings following separation, divorce and remarriage, being new to the school, social deficits and grieving. Referrals are made by parent, teacher and/ or student requests.
We consult with classroom teachers when concerns are raised about a students learning or social/emotional success. Classroom and student observations help us to get a fuller picture of students in order to help them achieve their potential.
Students are met with on an as need basis, which may mean a one-time meeting or an ongoing weekly/bi-weekly schedule. Sometimes students invite a friend(s) to come to the counseling office with them either for support or to help resolve an issue. We will be in contact with you if concerns about your child have been raised.
Parents are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the either of us throughout the year to discuss concerns related to student learning styles, behaviors in and out of school, stages of development and personal issues that are getting in the way of student achievement.
As members of your child’s educational team we can help make recommendations which may include: behavior modification programs; in school counseling; referrals to outside counseling; parent meetings, groups and classes; educational testing; emotional testing; and/or psychological testing.
Hopefully this gives you a good picture of the guidance services offered at The Edgartown School and explains how we function as part of your child’s educational team. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you and your children this coming year.
Deborah DeBettencourt & Eric Butler
Edgartown Elementary School
- Giving Disorganized Boys the Tools for Success
- If Your Kids Are Awake, They're Probably Online
- FRONTLINE: growing up online | PBS
- Online Teen Safety Guide
- Opinion: Shyness: Evolutionary Tactic?
- Martha's Vineyard Youth Task Force
- Melinda Gates letter on Technology and Parenting
- Smart Phone Effects on Kids
- Parent Resource on Teenage Drug Use
- Ten Actions ALL Parents Can Take to Help Eliminate Bullying
- Unspoil Your Child